best thing i've made in a good while: chicken + dumpling soup. i used whole grain spelt flour for added health & flavor plus homemade turkey broth gifted from a friend. delish! x
8 C stock (i used 4 C turkey broth & 4 C water)
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, minced
1 C chicken, chopped (i used organic free-range chicken thighs)
- heat stock on med-high til almost boiling, turn to med & simmer
- add veg and cook until tender
- add chicken, cook until done (5-8 min for raw)
- make dumplings while veg & chicken cook
4 T butter
1/2 C flour (i used whole grain spelt)
1/4 C parsley, minced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 C minced onion
- cream butter in a bowl with the back of a fork
- beat in eggs (mine never really mixed thoroughly, but that was fine)
- stir in flour + parsley + garlic + onion + s&p
- stir in hot stock (1 T at a time) until soft
- drop in 1 T dumplings, cook until set, approx. 5-10 minutes (scoop batter with a tablespoon, immerse spoon into stock to set batter a bit, then scrape off with another spoon. if your dumplings break up a bit, don't fret.)
- remove cooked dumplings to a plate until ready to serve
- taste soup, season with s&p
- add dumplings back into soup
- ladel soup in bowl, top with chopped parsley + squeezed fresh lemon + grated parmesan
one of my favorite things in life is making goofy evite invitations. i think this particular one for my mom's upcoming shindig is a gem. :)
p.s. we just returned from a week-long trip to the motherland (a.k.a. new york city). it was wonderful. you can see pics from the journey on my instagram feed (i'm 'bauwau'). x
this is from my instagram feed (@bauwau). i finally enlarged a pic of the manhattan skyline that we took (via greenpoint) for our wedding invitation suite. got the idea via a desert fete long ago. just need to hang it.
anyhoo... gettin' on a jet plane and headin' to ny early tomorrow morn. haven't been in a full year. plans: eat luke's lobster. get haircut (for first time since last feb). see a few shows. eat good sushi (can not wait). eat yummy ramen. eat eat eat. see friends (yay!). go to the park. visit the met. visit the moma. visit shops galore... can't wait. xx
p.s. i absolutely can't shake m.i.a.'s born free, featuring suicide's martin rev. such a good song.
p.p.s. did i mention i haven't packed yet? it's 9:37pm. i leave the house at 5:45am. ...
YES. sometimes you just need to hear certain things. i literally just sat down to find a quote from kim krans on anthology mag so i could write it down and keep it handy. being the procrastinator and blog addict that i am, i stumbled upon this video (via rennes.)
the kim krans quote:
"What’s the biggest challenge of your creative profession?
Phew, this is a big one: steering the wheel! Making sure that my day to day work is steering my business and life in the direction I want it to go. We live in a very distracting world and I could easily end up invoicing, emailing, making a few little drawings, and generally tweeting away my entire year. So I prioritize drawing, and I try to constantly envision my longterm goals, even though every day is filled with a zillion small tasks. Grab the wheel and turn it towards what you want!"
okay... away from the computer i go!